Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Both Kids Vomiting

I have BIG GUILT.

I heard my 20 month old crying last night, but ignored it. She's cried in the middle of the night before, and I've gone to her, but there was never anything wrong. She just woke up and wanted to be held. Eventually she goes back to sleep.

But Friday night, I ignored her crying, and I have guilt.

Guilt because when I went to get her Saturday morning, her crib was covered in dried vomit. It took a while to figure out what it was, it was so crusted already. She seemed in good spirits though, and she ate her breakfast without a problem, so I assumed she got sick and woke up her normal self.

So I have guilt for not going in there at night, but that wasn't the BIG GUILT.

You see, I assumed she was good enough to put in the car, along with her 3 year old brother, and go to the mall. Both were strapped in their car seats in the SUV when she looked car sick. Hmmm. But there was no time to react, as she vomited all over herself, the car seat and the car. Several times. That's when I realized, she really is sick. And then I had more guilt but still not the BIG GUILT.

I took her home, and babied her the rest of the day and into the night. I think the 3 year-old was jealous as he kept saying that his stomach bothered him too. But I ignored his words. I thought, 'he loves his sister so much, he is having sympathy pain for her'. That was, until HE then he suddenly projectile vomited all over the carpet.

I have both kids vomiting! And now I got the BIG GUILT.

Taking care of sick kids wasn't something I learned in college or even in my job, before I became the stay at home dad. I had no idea what to do. If it was me, I want to be alone, curl up in the fetal position on my bed and sleep. But for some reason, kids don't want to be alone when they're sick. They want to be babied, especially babies!!

I have been through pedialite, pedialite popsicles, gatorade, anything to keep fluids in them, but it keeps coming up. Ugh.

Cut to now, about 72 hours later. I haven't really slept, and I've been up to my eyeballs in vomit. But I'm happy to say that both kids are now in full recovery and sleeping now. My stomach is turning, but I'll just power through it. I don't have time for a stomach flu.

I hope to get over my BIG GUILT, but I know the next time one of my kids tells me they dont feel good, I'll be all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment